Monday, March 16, 2009

about fertilizers

-----THE GARDEN GNOME

Question: what kind of fertilizer is natural?
Answer:

Compost, animal manure [composted to rid it of e. Coli] I use bunny poo straight, it has no urine in it to burn the plants. Chicken manure in manure tea, yes I put mine in a pillow case suspended in a fifty gallon drum of rain water to ladle loving on my veggies. I don't recommend any pet manure or night soil because of the density of the former and the bad germies in the latter. Night soil or humanure is why you can't eat fresh veggies or drink the water in Mexico. Horse manure or whinny poo, is good if well composted. I like to toss some cow poop or bullpucky in my composter along with kitchen scraps [use only non animal scraps like veggie stuff or eggs shells, tea bags and your coffee grounds for best results, in the composter, I like to dig up a few hundred worms for my composter too, Also I put any mushrooms I find in my composter, lots of brown leaves and very small twigs.] fats, milk products and meats are not for composting. I waste nearly nothing and all goes into my composter with those exceptions. I also have a compost heap and piles of composting leaves in the woods behind our house so that they can eventually be used in my garden.

All manure can be turned into manure tea which is readily available for fertilizing your gardens whether you are flower growing or veggie planting.

I'm kind of addicted to composting and use it a lot in my gardens, if anyone offers me animal bedding or their accumulated poo, I'll use it too.

Chemical fertilizer and poor farming methods have just about ruined our farmlands and we indeed have none left that is at all considered healthy. Chemical fertilizers have only three ingredients, N=nitrogen, P=phosphorus, and K=Potassium. These are not the only things fertile soil needs and often the proportions are wrong, so adding manure is best along with God's idea of allowing fields to go fallow every 7 years. Many times a really good husbandman will add a cover crop to his fallow fields, this keeps it from blowing away in a stiff wind and if it's the right crop, it will add stuff like nitrogen to the soils. Not allowing the soil to rest, not giving it proper fertilizers will ruin your garden every time.

Everyone needs at least one of these for their emergency kits:
pure-go filtering water bottles

If you are going to garden and have your own food supply- grow the healthiest foods from Heirloom seeds orchardhouse heirlooms

1 comment:

webriter said...

can't post comments