Wednesday, April 22, 2009

BEING INVENTIVE

-----THE GARDEN GNOME


ok, we've discussed keeping our stuff longer by taking care of it, and repairing it, sewing our clothes, growing a garden. Now I want to talk about something even trickier; Making your own tools.

Remember all tools were originally made by hand. With a little practice and "INVENTIVENESS" you too can make a labor-saving device.

It is good to acquire as many tools as you can, before you can no longer find them. Have as much raw material as you can on hand because there will always be something you have no tool for. First when building your tool, decide exactly what this tool needs to do, then figure out what material it needs to be made from. This is exactly the way all tools have been made.

Then with paper and pencil start drawing all the ideas you have about your new tool.

Decide how heavy it can be. Wood which can be easily worked is pretty heavy in widths that are strong, metals need to be malleable when being formed into tools but they need to be strong and light when it is a finished hand tool. Old-time tools makers chose lightweight wood shafts for many garden tools that need a long reach, then they screwed or riveted to the metal tool itself. Ancient man used thongs to attach the metal or stone tool to the shaft. A thong if it is raw leather can be wrapped tightly while wet and when it dries it will tighten to make a pretty good connection.

While you are deciding how to make your tool; talk to people who will give you input on how this tool can be made, unless of course, you live in a state of invincible ignorance and cannot deal with anyone offering advice, in which case you might just as well forget the whole tool-making deal and have plenty on hand to buy what you need.

Laziness is not going to help you when hard times hit, so cultivate an attitude of business now. Truthfully, lack means lots of extra work, don't nap and think you're storing up energy for when you need tgo work, it doesn't work that way.

I've had to be "inventive" all my life because no one ever handed me anything on a silver platter. I had to do my own electyrical repairs, my own plumbing fixes, I had to build whatever I needed because I couldn't just go out and buy things. Anyone can do this it just involves some thinking and figuring out obstacles. I usually built my tools in my mind several times, going thru' every step over and over L:ong before I began my endeavor.

Woodworking with Hand Tools
Author Roy Underhill takes us from forest to furniture with historical woodworking techniques.



Here is a good site to find some garden tips so you will have a successful garden
SECRET GARDEN TIPS

A good place to buy seeds from is:ORCHARDHOUSE HEIRLOOMS

Father, I ask You to bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for, who are reading this right now. Show them a new revelation of your love and power. Holy Spirit, I ask You to minister to their spirit at this very moment. Where there is pain, give them your peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence through your grace. Where there is need, I ask you to fulfill their needs. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. In Jesus' precious name. Amen.

No comments: