Monday, April 27, 2009

HOW TO GROW FOOD FOR YOUR FUTURE

-----THE GARDEN GNOME


First, pray about it and decide what your family will eat. I grow a lot, because I'm planning to share a lot. I'm taking out all of my sunnier flower gardens to make room for more vegetables. I'm growing way more snow peas than we can eat, because I hope to share them with my church group. Also I'll be actually picking turnip greens and collards just to share. Yesterday I put in a small [40 square feet] salad garden in my backyard against my garage so it'll be ready for our summer salads. There are many ways to preserve your harvest and a few are listed below.

Personally I'm not into canning. Altho' many people do. However this year I'm growing a whole 25'X 25' root garden and I'll be keeping them in my basement or maybe clean out my old frig in my garage and keep them there[an unplugged refrigerator will keep things from freezing in an unheated garage]. Just remember, never wash vegetables or berries unless you are ready to eat them. I like to brush off any foreign matter on my berries, place them all unwashed on a large tray in my freezer and freeze them. Then I tip them into a ziplock baggie, squeeze out all the air and keep them frozen until ready for use. All vegetables need to be blanched before freezing. I boil them briefly in lemon water [the lemon makes the color better] then put them hot[cool in cold water bath]-and drained, into a ziplock baggie. I spread them out inside the bag [then express excess air, to make nice flat bags for storage; cool a bit and freeze. If the- let's say zucchini- is not in a big frozen glob it's easier to just use part of a bag for my winter meals.

Drying is also a viable way to keep foods, but it must be very dry or it'll mold in the baggie. I won't got into great detail here on how to do these things, This blog is just for ideas that you can investigate on your own. I dry my herbs in paper bags n a high shelf in my kitchen, then grind them up and keep them in saved spice bottles.

Here is a good site to find some garden tips so you will have a successful garden
SECRET GARDEN TIPS

A good place to buy seeds from is:ORCHARDHOUSE HEIRLOOMS

Lord, Please help us to make whatever preparations We need to do to thrive in the coming hard times, In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: